Friday, June 6, 2008

2 Weeks- Rocks, Guns, and Ladies ("Demetri Martin")

Hey Everybody,
Important story,
We went to the beach again this afternoon, but we went to the other side, it was really cool. There was this huge rock/mountain at the beach and the sand ran right up to it. So we did the only reasonable thing and set out climb the mountain. The view was amazing. I could see the whole Barra beach and all of the city not blocked by the mountains. There were no clouds or smog. The mountain was almost the size of stone mountain, but steeper. I really have to go back.
The reason I am describing this to you and not showing you pictures is, yes it actually happened and it was awesome, but my camera died. Sad, sad day. The point at which the beach meets the rock is also where the ocean meets the beach and the rock. There was no way I was going to climb that mountain and not take pictures, that is unless I dropped my camera in the ocean. I've tried fixing it, but all I have been getting are noises that sound a lot like gunshots. Oh well. On an aside, I have also lost my cell phone, I left it on the plane and I don't know where it is. It's like gadget revenge.

Speaking of gunshots, I want to be careful how I say this because we are very safe where we live inside the compound, but Wednesday I did something I have never done before. I fell asleep counting gunshots and last count was thirty-something. Rio is a violent place at times. I'll be here for 2 months and I don't think I will understand the complexity of the situation. I think people have written books on the reasons why the favelas exist and the process of social justice. The gang/mafia/drug or paramilitary leaders of the favelas are the final word and if they want justice, an explanation, or a scapegoat they get it. The government is probably more corrupt than a lot of these leaders and for them to enforce the law, they would have to enforce it on themselves too. So there is a type of selective system and laws and regulations are used when is to the advantage of whoever decides to enforce or ignore them. There is more I could say, but it is long and complicated. Also, we don't go anywhere that is not safe. As missionaries that provide services and help the favelas, Eric and his team are respected and protected and subsequently, so are we.

Lastly, I feel like I am on a 2 month long dating show. Everyone wants to know if we are single, even little kids. I guess it is kind of like the Bachelor (I have never seen the show), but if the bachelor didn't sign up for the show and all of the sudden was thrust on to the show. It was kind of fun at first, but it is starting to get old. I think I could have a foot for a face, but as long as I was from America and single I would still get all of this interest. No offense to the Brazilian ladies, but I have always intended to return to America the way I came, solteiro.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

o mark... i'm enjoying reading these posts. they're very you, and i'm glad to see you're enjoying yourself and laughing through things and learning about yourself and the Lord and brazil. and really, i'm laughing pretty hard about the dating show thing! hopefully it'll calm down soon for you.

p.s. praying for you!

-sara pierce

Unknown said...

Marky mark,

I couldn't help but comment on your "LADIES" section as well...

I feel ya, everyone has asked me if I am dating someone. Including the creepy old man I told you about earlier. EEEEk.