Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Food

I think it's time for a discussion of Brazilian food. It's good. Almost everyone has heard of Brazilian barbecue, meat roasted on sticks over the fire for a long time. I think there are a couple of restaurants in Atlanta. It's better than advertised. Every restaurant that serves meat down here, cheap or expensive, cooks it the same way and it is so juicy and tender. A true winner. Most of the time it is served with rice and beans, but they could serve it with spoiled tofu and it would still be good. On a side note, they have this stuff that looks like sawdust and tastes like flour that you put on your rice and beans, I guess to soak up the bean juice. The smaller street stands and shops serve a lot of fried pastels (similar to a croissant) and empanada-type items. Anywhere near a bakery or side shop has an overpowering doughnut smell. Everything is stuffed with either, cheese, meat or seafood product. It's pretty good unless you eat more than one.
They have a type of soda called guarana and it is pretty good. It tastes like bubble gum ginger ale. I don't know if I said this before, but the milk here is bad. It tastes like all the cows wandered into an onion patch and didn't come back out. Chocolate makes it palatable, but only in the loosest sense of the word. The biggest surprise is the coffee. You drink it in little cups and use equal amounts of sugar. I became addicted during the clinic last week when they would bring around rounds in the morning (I am drinking it right now). American coffee probably tastes the same if you added a bunch of sugar, but I wouldn't know.

Micheal and I went to the beach yesterday.


The water was blue, the waves were huge, and the sand was white. Probably the nicest beach I have ever been to.

I'm at a unique place right now, rest of my life-wise. I'm not in school, I don't have a job, med school will have to wait a year, I really don't have any money and I'm in Brazil. There are more than few possibilities right now and I was reading Proverbs yesterday and verse 25 and 26 says "Have no fear of sudden disaster. . . For the Lord will be your confidence." And to paraphrase Philippians 1 God will be faithful to complete the work he has started in me. I really have no idea what will happen in the next year, but I am pretty sure God has plan that doesn't entail joining the ranks of destitute biology majors.

Anyway here is the address I can be reached.

Mark Law
Bosque dos Esquilos

Rua Freijo No# 35 Casa 1

Jacarepagua, Rio de Janerio 22753-802

No comments: